[FFmpeg-user] x264 with both 8bit and 10bit support

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Jun 10 19:27:38 CEST 2012

wtfux <wtfux.dev <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> I want to transcode from both 8 and 10bit h264 to both 8 and 10bit
> h264 with x264 using ffmpeg.

Sounds as if you need different calls to ffmpeg (as opposed to one
call that encodes several files) ...

> The problem is that I need to build
> libx264 with or without 10bit support. With 10bit support it is unable
> to encode 8bit h264.

... and this sounds as if you need two ffmpeg executables.

> Is there a way to have 2 versions of libx264 installed alongside and
> tell ffmpeg which one to use?

No, but you can simply install two ffmpeg executables (with different
names or - if you believe this makes more sense - different
paths) which would fit both needs above.

Carl Eugen