[FFmpeg-user] How to segment a video file into a stream of playable segments?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 19:14:11 CEST 2012

> I want FFMpeg to create several segments out of an original video file; and
> a meta data-file containing the name of the segments and other data
> required in order to play them as a stream. The files should be created in
> such a way that the segments can be played as a stream without any
> noticable glitches in the overlap of the media files.

I would determine the full size, then split [1] the file into several
chunks.  Unfortunately this causes ffmpeg to "read from the beginning
of the file" to split each chunk, but typically doesn't too long.  I
don't think there's any default option to do the splits all at once,
though I could be mistaken.

[1] http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-do-you-split-mpg-files-using-a-ffmpeg-command-542607/