[FFmpeg-user] Trouble encoding h.264

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Mar 22 16:59:01 CET 2012

Langdon <langdon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ffmpeg -strict experimental -f u16le -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2
> -ar 48000 -i c:/alka-video/workspace/06A.cat.a -i
> c:/alka-video/workspace/06A.cat.v -strict experimental
> -acodec aac -vcodec libx264 -same_quant -sample_fmt s32
> -pix_fmt yuv420p -ac 2 -ar 48000 -y c:\alka-video/output/06A.avi

I find it surprising that you try to set sample_fmt (which should
probably fail, but just has no effect) and channels and rate
(which you do not change wrt input and input is the default for
both), but you do not try to set the bitrate which I would try.
Are you sure aac in avi is supported by WMP? I am not saying it
isn't I am just surprised. otoh, if you don't use wmp, but
another application: How do you know it works ok?
Finally, please note that you had to use -strict experimental
which basically tells you that you cannot expect the encoder
to work perfectly...

Carl Eugen