[FFmpeg-user] -f vob does not appear to produce MPEG-2 Program Streams according to ffprobe

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:43:41 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM,  <ianm at brick.net> wrote:

> I am seeking to concatenate video clips of what might well be random
> provenance, typically .MTS files (MEPG-2 TS container file, H.264 video,
> AC-3 audio) but not always. These are reasonably high resolution: 1920 x
> 1080.  The FAQ lists the following as "privileged formats" capable of binary
> concatenation: "MPEG-1, MPEG-2 PS, DV"  I wanted to give MPEG-2 PS a shot.
>  I'm using the wonderful Zeranoe 64-bit static build on Windows 7.  Here's
> my command line on a sample clip and the results:
>
> C:\data\pipeline\binaries\ffmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -i
> C:\data\pipeline\input\short-clip.mts -codec:v copy -codec:a copy -f vob
> short-clip.vob

Why "-f vob" and not "-f mpegts" ?

You may also need to use a bitstream filter to ensure your H264
streams are annex b compliant, so they can be concatenated.

IE, try something like this:

ffmpeg -i src.mts -c:v copy -c:a copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts out.ts

Oh, I see, the FAQ says to use MPEG2 PS - hmm. I've used the above
recipe to concatenate HD TV recordings in mpegts :/

Cheers

Tom