[FFmpeg-user] supporting arguments for FFV1 encoding

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue May 29 13:00:36 CEST 2012

Quoting Dave Rice <daverice at mac.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I am testing using FFV1 encoding and have some questions on use.
>
> When encoding to >8 bit (like ffmpeg v210.mov -c:v ffv1 ffv1.mov) I
> get this warning:
> [ffv1 @ 0x7f83a1850a00] bits_per_raw_sample of more than 8 needs
> -coder 1 currently
>
> Could -coder 1 be the default in circumstances like this? Is there a
> disadvantage to using -coder 1? In other cases ffmpeg will provide
> an error and no output when the user needs to provide more
> information to make a decision about the encoding. In this case
> there doesn't seem to be any significant decisions to be made, the
> user just has to add -coder 1.

As soon as FFv1.3 is considered "stable", this would make sense.
However, right now v1.3 is marked "experimental" - and therefore it
would be dangerous to automatically enable the bitstream.

So, as far as I understand it, your "problem" is only temporarily -
and will be gone as soon as FFv1.3 is officially released as stable.

Pb