[FFmpeg-user] stepping one frame at a time in ffplay

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Sat Nov 10 03:19:07 CET 2012

Hi all,
I'm trying to use ffplay to identify a particular frame number. First I start ffplay with
ffplay -vf showinfo MOVIE

I'm hoping to then navigate around the file to find the frame I'm interested in and then have another process parse the frame number from showinfo that I am currently on. When I try this I find there are very few fine controls in ffplay. If I want to back up 3 frames there doesn't seem to be a way to do it easily. I can click on the ffplay windows to jump around or click left which jumps back many seconds. In order to get the frame number I want it seems that I have to play up to the frame and hit pause at exactly the right time, else there is no way to step backwards a few frames to find the right one. Is there a way to change the amount of jump in the left and right controls? Is there a complete list of ffplay keyboard shortcuts. It would be great to incorporate more keyboard controls such as j/k/l as used in Final Cut and Quicktime and buttons to go forward or back by single frames.

Best Regards,
Dave Rice