[FFmpeg-user] yuv422p16le silently converted to yuv422p10le - even if pix_fmt is set to 16bit

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Oct 3 09:04:07 CEST 2012

Zitat von Andy Civil <andycivil at gmail.com>:

> On 2012-10-02 6:52 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>

>> The important point is that no pixel_format was asked for
>> by the user, ffmpeg had to auto-select one.
>
> Fair enough; I thought that when he said "-pix_fmt yuv422p16le" it
> was setting the pixel format to yuv422p16le.

Is there any "force or die" mode for such a case?
I'm dealing with thousands of files automatically being transcoded in
the background, and something I'm really afraid of is that ffmpeg
might produce different files than I thought I asked it for, so it
would be great if I could tell it to bail out if it can't fulfull my
"wishes" ;)

For example, it is quite common to normalize the properties of
digitally archived material, so that all files are the same. This
might mean storing 10bit as 16bit.

So, if I understood Carl Eugen correctly, the currently confusing
behavior could be changed by modifying v210x code?

As usual, thank you very much for your feedback!
Pb