[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg-1.0 make failed on Fedora x86_64

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Oct 6 06:57:35 CEST 2012

Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >>  --enable-libvpx \
> >>  --enable-librtmp \
> >
> >>  --enable-avfilter \
> >>  --enable-postproc \
> >>  --enable-swscale \
> >>  --enable-bzlib \
> >>  --enable-zlib \
> >>  --enable-libfreetype \
> >>  --enable-pthreads \
> >>  --enable-pic \
> >
> > These look unneeded (at least most of them).
>
> --enable-libvpx and friends should be useful, yes?

There is an empty line to separate the part of the
quoted message that my response does not apply to
from the part that I did answer.
I am not absolutely sure about --enable-libfreetype,
but --enable-avfilter, --enable-postproc,
--enable-swscale, --enable-bzlib, --enable-zlib,
--enable-pthreads and --enable-pic are useless.

Note that it is of course possible that the default
for these switches change (for example if the native
z library is ever finished), but in that case, you
would want to stay with the default (the native
library will only be merged if it is faster).

This is part from the fact that zlib and bzlib are
only linked in if the muxers and demuxers needing
it are enabled. If you force them anyway, you only
get a useless dependency.

(--enable-pic is insofar special as I strongly
suspect it hurts performance on systems were it
is not needed / default.)

Carl Eugen