[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg with static x264

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Oct 7 10:41:33 CEST 2012

Am 06.10.2012 21:48, schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> I meant could you elaborate why you believe that FFmpeg is
> "heavily changing so-names"?

on, with the releases this became much easier to handle
x264 is not so easy

>>> If you don't need libx264.a for other applications,
>>> you don't have to install it, simply pass the
>>> necessary include and lib paths as extra-ldflags
>>> and extra-cflags to FFmpeg's configure.
>>> (See configure --help)
>>
>> correct me -but that would mean x264 as shared-library
> No, above only applies to a static x264 library

--extra-ldflags="-L/usr/local/lib64" compiles against
the x264 in /usr/local BUT it is not linked static
nor is it found after install

[root at testserver:/usr/local/lib64]$ ffmpeg
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.128: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

my goal would be install x264 on the buildserver to /usr/local
build ffmpeg static as i do now under /usr/local and finally
LINK x264 in the built version STATICALLY in ffmpeg