[FFmpeg-user] display size vs coded size

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Oct 10 10:11:49 CEST 2012

Terry Bolands <tbolands <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> What I want is to have video that is coded with
> a certain resolution, but to be able to additionally
> indicate in the container format that there is a
> different resolution that ontains the interesting data.

I believe the first reason why this is not possible
from the command line is that from the decoder perspective,
such videos always provide nothing but a lot of trouble.
A second reason is probably that this sounds like
wasting resources both at encoding and decoding.

It may be possible by using the libraries (pass another
resolution to the muxer than to the encoder), I don't know.
(If that works, it should be trivial to add muxer-
specific options to implement it from the command line.)

Please try to fix the quoting of your mailer.

Carl Eugen