[FFmpeg-user] audio padding filter?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 13:19:19 CEST 2012

On date Thursday 2012-10-04 16:23:00 -0600, Roger Pack encoded:
> Hello.
> I was wondering if say I have an input that every so often "misses"
> some audio input frames, is there any existing filter that would
> basically add those frames in, as silence?

aresample can work that way:
-af aresample=min_comp=0.001:min_hard_comp=0.100000

Yes this should be documented.

> Or, said differently, is it "ok" for a file or input device to send
> partial/broken audio input, or should the input device do all the
> padding itself?

Some containers doesn't support discontinuous streams (e.g. rawaudio),
and many filters assume the input is continuous, so the input stream
may need to be filled with silence.

> Are the audio codecs typically smart enough to accomodate for this
> themselves, anybody know, or any implications there?

It depends on the codec, silence removal is related to a feature
usually named VAD (Voice Activity Detection), I think speex should
have something like that.
--
ffmpeg-user random tip #8
Multimedia related stuff web site promo: