[FFmpeg-user] Reducing delay of stream

Jordan Schaenzle jordan.schaenzle at atomicembedded.com
Mon Oct 15 17:33:29 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am trying to use ffmpeg to stream the desktop of one computer to another computer on an internal network.  I am using VLC on the receiving side and I have also tested with ffplay. It is very important that the delay for the entire process be as minimal as possible. I have been experimenting with different ffmpeg commands but have not been able to reduce the delay beyond about 2 seconds. Right now, the command that give the best performance is:

ffmpeg -f dshow -i video="screen-capture-recorder" -f mpegts udp://host:port

Do you have any suggestions for how I could reduce the delay any more?

Thank you,

Jordan