[FFmpeg-user] feature request: warn when video bitrate ignored

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 23:27:15 CEST 2012

>> I guess I'm not sure what should happen here...
>> When I specify 64k for mpeg4, I get an output of
>>  387.9kbits/s
>
> Are you absolutely sure that you can get less than
> 64k with -qscale 30 (or 100) for your input sample?

Running it with qscale 100 yields about the same output rate.
It's odd, though...you'd think it would be able to just pixelate the
output more and achieve basically any bitrate.

Anyway, the problem is not that it can't compress more, the problem
(in my eyes) is that after specifying a target, it doesn't hit it and
doesn't tell you why...leaving you wondering if it accepted the target
in the first place, since it appears to be ignoring it...
-r