[FFmpeg-user] Benchmarking with ffmpeg - What are the parameters meaning?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Sep 9 23:01:01 CEST 2012

David Wagner <david.wagner123 <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> frame= 1065 fps=214 q=-1.0 Lsize=     238kB time=00:00:35.46
> bitrate=   55.0kbits/s
> bench: utime=8.781s maxrss=49488kB
>
> What is meant by the fps? Is it the (averaged) speed at which
> the frames are processed?

No, not averaged but current.

> So 1065frames / 214fps = 4,97 s. Which is not equal utime
> = 8,7818s.

> Also I have seen that at the end time=00:00:35.46 is exactly
> the length of the encoded video.

That is correct and this should be very accurate.

> Could someone please explain me the
> parameters?

If you mean frame, size and bitrate, I assumed they are
self-explanatory...
(I suspect bitrate is also current, not average, but I
did not test.)
utime is the time spent on CPU, maxrss should be
maximum memory footprint.

> BTW exists there a mode for benchmarking the DEcoding process,
> so that I have some stats and won't need to play all the
> files in realtime?

I always use:
$ time ffmpeg -i input -f null -

Carl Eugen