[FFmpeg-user] Prores 444 being detected by quicktime as 422?

Sam Marrocco smarrocco at ringsidecreative.com
Mon Sep 10 14:37:31 CEST 2012

On 9/8/2012 6:27 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Apart from the fact that this is hard to believe, I was unable to
> find that claim in the original mail.

Roger may be "intermingling" knowledge of a thread on ffmpeg zeranoe
(http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=707&sid=3274fe1a5efcc0021653f967447f9057)
and this thread but he is correct.
It may be hard to believe but every quicktime that I have tried to
convert in ffmpeg using yuv444p10le and prores or prores_kostya results
in a prores quicktime that ffmpeg indentifies as 444 yet is identified
as 422 by quicktime player.

Carl is the first person to suggest that ffmpeg cannot create yuv444
(which helps the mystery a bit).

Sam Marrocco
Chief Technical Officer
248-548-2500 Main
248-910-3344 Cell

"Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

 RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
http://www.ringsidecreative.com

Find us on Facebook.