[FFmpeg-user] Benchmarking with ffmpeg - What are the parameters meaning?

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:08:54 CEST 2012

David Wagner wrote on Tue 11 Sep at 1:05 UK time
> And I'm searching especially something for decoding. Is there an option
> for only measuring the decoding performance?

It is unlikely to provide anything directly. ffmpeg is a transcoder, it
isn't a player. It also depends what you mean by "measuring the decode
performance" (actual CPU used, elapsed time...).

You could probably estimate decode performance by using -ss to skip to
the end of the file. As far as I know, ffmpeg skips by actually decoding
the video, so skipping to the end of the file means the program has to
decode the whole file.