[FFmpeg-user] VP8 where is the variable Bitrate mode?

David Wagner david.wagner123 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:55:02 CEST 2012

Am 11.09.2012 08:38, schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> David Wagner<david.wagner123<at>  googlemail.com>  writes:
>
>> I don't get it working properly.... I use this command :
>> ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\original.avi -c:v libvpx -quality good
>> -crf 50  -qmin 2 -qmax 63  -v:b 200 "C:\coded.webm"
>> It sets the bitrate all the time to 200...
> This is expected behaviour since you explicitly tell ffmpeg
> to encode with a video bitrate of 200
>
> For your next report, please do not forget to paste complete,
> uncut console output.
>
> Carl Eugen

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and made this mistake. I changed the
number before sending it.
The mistake was that I used 'v:b' and not 'vb'. The console ouput was
huge, but it encoded and used the generic setting for the bitrate. But
whart I could not change was that I could set my 'crf' lower than the
generic minimum quantizer which is 4. But I don't mind anymore. It's ok
if I can set the 'crf' and the bitrate.

David