[FFmpeg-user] Benchmarking with ffmpeg - What are the parameters meaning?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Sep 11 15:50:30 CEST 2012

David Wagner <david.wagner123 <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> >> And I'm searching especially something for decoding.
> >> Is there an option for only measuring the decoding
> >> performance?
> >
> > I always use:
> > $ time ffmpeg -i input -f null -
> >
> > (You are right that this does not only decode, it also
> > encodes to the "null" format, but I don't think this
> > will affect the measuring.)
> >
> I want to compare encoding with decoding performance
> requirements and see how the codecs behave.

If you believe that encoding to the null format affects
the decoding performance measurement, I honestly wonder
how you are going to measure encoding performance
without using a decoder.

Please put (and leave) an empty line between quoted text
and your reply, it makes reading mails significantly easier.

Carl Eugen