[FFmpeg-user] X11grab tearing

Serge Shpikin eurekafag at eureka7.ru
Thu Sep 13 00:53:05 CEST 2012

Sorry, this video is really too big to just show the problem. Here's the
command I used:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1920x1200 -r 30 -i :0.0 -f alsa -i loop -vcodec
libx264 -preset ultrafast -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ar 48000 video.mp4

The output was quite big and I can't repeat the recording right now. I've
cut the video to first ten seconds (5.6 Mb) where tearing is quite visible
on framestep viewing:
http://rghost.net/private/40334000/f3835aac094ca2292efcc658bf49511b<http://rghost.ru/private/40334000/f3835aac094ca2292efcc658bf49511b>

I don't claim it's a bug in ffmpeg, I'm just curios if I'm the only one who
get this. Linux gaming isn't a usual thing so screen capturing is often
limited to screencasts with mostly static background and text.

I read about troubles with vsync in NVIDIA's blob and some issues in Wine
but it's really hard to notice tearing on 60 FPS. When vsync is turned off
FPS is quite high which makes tearing visible very well but when FPS is
equal to the refresh rate (even if vsync doesn't work or broken) then
there's only one tear possible if I understand it correctly.