[FFmpeg-user] Problem with vf pad ... help please

PyProg PyProg pyprog05 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 00:40:22 CEST 2012

Hello Mark,

2012/9/15 Mark Himsley <mark at mdsh.com>:
> You appear to be scaling to 900 x 720 then padding to 900 x 720 and
> asking ffmpeg to add 190 pixels at the top of the picture. I don't think
> ffmpeg is allowed to break the rules of maths.
>
> Do you mean something more like this?
>
> ffmpeg -i input.avi -aspect 16:9 -vf
> scale=900:530,pad=900:720:0:190:0xd28080 -sameq -y output.avi
>
> Not that I'm saying it's going to look very good - but it's physically
> possible.

Excuse me in advance for the translation of my response (I'm french).

In fact that's the problem, I have an original video size 768x576
(ratio 4/3) and I want to add bands on each side (two bands of equal
size to the left and right) to convert this video in 1280x720 without
distortion (the video will keep its ratio 4/3) is simply the size of
the stripes on each side that will transform this video 4/3 to 16/9.

I must be able to find a generic method (because the original videos
are not all in 768x576) and may be changed upon arrival in 1920x1080,
1280x720, 960x540, or 852x480.

I would also do the opposite (transform 16/9 to 4/3 by adding strips
of the same size on the top and on the bottom).

I think the pad filter is the best way to do this, but how?, Can you
put me on the way?

> --
> Mark

a+