[FFmpeg-user] Simultaneous two-pass?

Gabri Nurtinaz Shally gabri.ns at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:19:34 CEST 2012

On Sep 27, 2012 5:07 PM, "Jesse Gordon" <tojesseg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that the second pass could begin before the first pass is done
because the second pass doesn't need to know how the 1000th frame looks in
order to encode the first frame...

if you still thinking like this, i think you shouldn't use two pass, rather
take a look at vbuffer instead.

> I tried a few -threads options and nothing seemed to change anything. It
could be that the flv encoder doesn't support threads.
> But that's OK because whenever a user uploads a video, it has to be
converted into half a dozen different sizes and rates to accomodate viewers
with different internet speeds, so I can just launch several instances in
parallel.

thats a good aproach to maximize cpu utilitation. my advice is, rather than
trigger transcoding at user upload, it is better to create something like
queue that tell ffmpeg which file that need to be encoded.