[FFmpeg-user] Fwd: "Guessed Channel Layout for Input Stream" - how to assign channels? (FL+FR+FC+LFE+BL+BR)

Steve C natgeo.operations at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 13:05:33 CEST 2013

> This is probably a result of fixing ticket #468.
> Since your use case appear less common to me,
> this is unlikely to get fixed by default.
> (We could change it for the "mono" case, but
> that would make it even more confusing imo.)

Yeah, it only causes an issue if someone opens the file with
Quicktime, and doesnt see all 16 tracks present.
They will need to know that they have to turned on the tracks in Movie
Properties in order to hear them.
When you drop the file into Final Cut Pro, all audio tracks are
present, even if they are turned off in properties.

> But I wonder how this should ever work in your
> specific case: FFmpeg would set all 16 channels
> as default, meaning that QuickTime would play
> both languages simultaneously...

We would not need the tracks active for playback simultaneously, but
more for when the QC technician
is checking the files - so they have a quick visual way to know all
tracks are present.  I also
have not tested how this may affect transcoding down the workflow
chain. If you take an MOV file
that has its audio tracks turned off, will those tracks transcode
through our workflow? I imagine
it would be okay, but need to test.

thanks again.