[FFmpeg-user] channelsplit seems to mute one channel

Owen Jones asorti6 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:13:21 CEST 2013

On 13 Apr 2013, at 08:16, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> The best way to test is:
> ffmpeg -i test.mov -map 0:0 out1.wav
> ffmpeg -i test.mov -map 0:1 out2.wav
> and test the resulting wav files.

I tried this, there is a sound track in both channels

>> the second (right) channel appears as disabled.
>
> The reason is that FFmpeg only marks the first
> audio track as default. The reason is that
> users typically don't like if all languages
> are played simultaneously with QT;-)
> (This was reported very often and only fixed
> recently.)
> It is not impossible to fix, but could you
> explain your use-case?

Ah, thanks, can see that it makes sense to generally mute all except the first track.

I am trying to transform a DVD video with joint stereo (which appears as a single track in Quicktime) into the format that iMovie uses which is two channel stereo (which appears as two tracks). Although iMovie will make its own transformation if fed joint stereo I don't really trust this and want to leave the video as untouched as possible following the ffmpeg transformation (basically using iMovie for its cataloguing only). I've tried using -map_channel and pan to try and re-enable the second channel but haven't managed to figure out a way of doing that.