[FFmpeg-user] Behavior of igndts

Ory Drilon ory at drilon.com
Tue Apr 16 14:11:26 CEST 2013

>Michael seems to assume that these kind of files are broken (I cannot say)

Yeah, the DTSes in these files are probably broken which is why igndts
fixes it. What I'm wondering is if I can just enable igndts even on files
that aren't broken, just to be safe.

Actually, I find it weird that ffmpeg would use the input stream's DTSes as
a basis for the output DTSes. Wouldn't the output DTSes be vastly different
if you were transcoding from one codec to another? My best guess is that
the input DTSes are used for some sort of performance optimization that's
safe for most modern streams. It's just occasionally failing in my case
because I'm working with some really old files.