[FFmpeg-user] Does converting to yuv444p by default make sense?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 22:22:53 CEST 2013

thljcl wrote:

> You are missing the point..

Well I may be missing your points, but you have really gone well away
from the point that Poynton makes and I linked to, which was
specifically about rgb24 to 8bit Y'CbCr.

It doesn't matter what could be, it matters what is and you are not
going to be changing the way every decoder/display converts yuv to rgb.

You said initially -

"“yuv444p” is a way of re-encoding the entire 24-bit RGB information"

and went on to say

"To me personally, I kind of like the way ffmpeg handle color space
conversion. Ffmpeg does have issues within its algorithm. YUV444p is not
one of them"

So do you think that if you made a 4096x4096 rgb24 image using C with
all the possible variations, that you could, using ffmpeg, convert it to
yuv444p and back to rgb24 without loss?

Try it - it's trivial in C to generate and also trivial to write
something that counts the unique pixels.

I've just done it but my C is so bad I may make the programmers on here
feel ill if I posted it - and it's probably still buggy :-)