[FFmpeg-user] De-interlacing and Inverse Telecining Questions

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Aug 2 00:34:29 CEST 2013

Young Kim <shadowing71 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've been reading through the ffmpeg documentation
> about deinterlacing and inverse telecining, and it's
> a bit confusing. In particular, there seems to be a
> myriad ways of achieving this (i.e. yadif, fieldmatch,
> and kerndeint). Does anyone happen to know what the
> difference is among these

You first have to understand that while interlaced and
telecined video look similar they are fundamentally
different: Deinterlacing means inventing 50% of the
image where no image was, inverse telecine brings the
original frames back that were used as input for the
telecine process.
(Or in other words: The telecine process only duplicates
some information while interlacing means throwing
away 50% of the video information - this may even
happen within camera equipment.)

You should not deinterlace telecined material and you
cannot inverse telecine interlaced videos.

kerndeint is an old deinterlacer that you should only
use if you have a specific reason. (performance on arm?)

yadif is a good deinterlacer and has simd optimization
on x86.

fieldmatch is a modern inverse telecine filter that is
said to beat MPlayer's pullup filter for every kind of
source file (but needs more resources).

> and if there is a way to automatically deinterlace /
> inverse telecine an input accordingly?

Not really because while it is technically possible to
detect if your video is interlaced or telecined (see
the idet filter), it is significantly easier and less
error-prone if you do it (visually) before transcoding.

Carl Eugen