[FFmpeg-user] Inaccurate trimming with re-encoding

cmharwood89 cmharwoo at umich.edu
Mon Aug 5 17:25:35 CEST 2013

I'm working with a 60 FPS (or 59.94) video, though the camera is ostensibly
able to capture up to 240 FPS (under which codec I'm not sure). Later on, I
may be capturing video at 1000+ FPS, but I'll be using machine-vision
cameras with their own controllers; I doubt I'll need to do the same kind of
post-processing with those.

I've been using AVIdemux to seek the exact frame I want, and then pulling
the time marker in HH:MM:SS.ms format from the AVIdemux GUI, which I then
use with '-ss' command in ffmpeg to get trimming. Mark's tip to remove the
square brackets seemed to do the trick, because my output begins with the
exact frame I picked in AVIdemux in my test case.

The duration of the cut video is less important; I do not need the trimmed
video to be a specific number of frames. I do need it to begin at a specific
frame in the master video. My method for doing this is a bit convoluted, so
if specifying a frame number to begin cutting at is more accurate, I'd
really appreciate any tips on how to do that.

I think that in the future, I'll buck up and get nicer cameras that have
millisecond-precision triggering so I don't have to trim the extra dead time
from each video.

Thanks so much!