[FFmpeg-user] audio-only flv over rtmp

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Mon Aug 5 21:58:40 CEST 2013

* Leo Currie on Monday, August 05, 2013 at 20:23:13 +0100
> On 5 August 2013 11:50, Christian Ebert <blacktrash at gmx.net> wrote:
>> * Leo Currie on Monday, August 05, 2013 at 11:30:52 +0100
>>> I'm trying to generate an RTMP live stream for Flash clients that
>>> contains audio only.
>>
>> Why don't you stream just MP3?
>
> My source is actually a 32kbps AAC+ stream coming from an Icecast server,
> so I should really be doing '-acodec copy'.

Problem might be the live packaging. I only know about on-demand.

You can certainly stream a aac audio in a proper container like
M4A. But I would not know how to do this kind of "muxing" for
live streams.

> Indeed, and MPEG is Moving Picture Experts Group, but we can have MP3
> audio. So perhaps none of these formats have very good names!
>
> I didn't know that a video track was needed for metadata, so perhaps all I
> need to do is be able to generate the "right kind" of dummy video track for
> my FLV.
>
> Or is there another way to stream aac audio over rtmp in a way that Flash
> player (e.g. JWPlayer) will understand?
> Perhaps a different mux? Is this what you meant by streaming in MP3 - can I
> stream without a container?

See above. An M4A on demand stream can certainly be played in a
Flash player - at least Flowplayer can do it. But again, for live
streams I don't know. Sorry.

--
theatre - books - texts - movies
Black Trash Productions at home: http://www.blacktrash.org