[FFmpeg-user] Compositing more than 2 videos side-by-side

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Tue Aug 6 02:04:34 CEST 2013

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:50:14 -0500
Eric <Eric at ebbtech.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to combine 3-4 videos with ffmpeg so each video is in its own quadrant of the output video file. I have had success combining two videos side-by-side. Perhaps someone with a better working knowledge of ffmpeg could help me out?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

See this example:
<https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/FilteringGuide#multipleinputoverlayin2x2grid>

It's not as complicated as it looks. The example just applies some
extra filters to differentiate the inputs.

Basically it uses the pad [1] filter to create a "canvas" and then uses
overlay [2] filters to place each quadrant.

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#pad
[2] http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#overlay-1