[FFmpeg-user] Merging H263 videos

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 09:52:38 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM, MatCam
<mathieu.multicam+ffmpeg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi I'm currently trying to merge 2 h263 videos.
> When i try to merge them i firstly had only the first video available in
> the
> merged version.
>
> So following FAQ of FFMPEG, I tried to use intermediate format to avoid
> merging problem due to file headers.
>
> After many test here my command  (mpg is my intermediate format, is ts
> better or faster ?)
> ffmpeg.exe -threads 8 -i "1.mpg|2.mpg" -f mpeg -bufsize 1000k -maxrate
> 5000k

-b:v 500k  -vcodec h263 -s 704x576  output.mp4

We don't know how you converted your files to .mpg, but "-f mpeg" is wrong
here, because it specifies an MPEG-1 program stream, while the MP4
extension is for MPEG-4 Part 14 containers.
Don't forget that encoding your input videos to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 will
result in quality degradation. Concatenating them again, and re-encoding
with a bitrate of 500 kBit/s to H.263 will degrade your quality even
further. Even if you got your concatenated video to play, it might look
really bad.

> As you can see I do weird stuff with bitrate and other rates to avoid
> errors
> but even when i have no errors my video is empty (good duration but without
> my video ...)

It'd be good if you told us what errors you get, instead of trying to add
various options in order to avoid them. Most ffmpeg conversions should work
"out of the box" without additional options. Maybe you can include the
full, uncut output of the above command. Then we know what material we're
working with here.

Thank you