[FFmpeg-user] mp4 generate moov atom at beginning of recording

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Mon Aug 19 18:11:08 CEST 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:04 AM, simon mares <simon.mares at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, is it possible to generate a pre-defined moov atom for fixed lenght
> of fe. 8 hours with use of
> http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#MOV_002fMP4_002fISMV arguments? Video
> would never be seeked beyond the real duration, as I would not allow.

If you mean, generate a moov atom that allows random access for the
first 8 hours will not work if you do not know your sample (i.e.
frame) sizes in advance (which may be doable in theory with a raw
video stream). As far as my understanding of the MP4 file format, what
you ask is not possible (provided I did not misunderstand your
requirement).