[FFmpeg-user] Burning DVD subtitles into video using overlay filter not working

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Aug 29 19:33:41 CEST 2013

Le duodi 12 fructidor, an CCXXI, Thierry Lelegard a écrit :
> It seems the simplest possible command to do. Please don't comment on video
> quality, it is just a test to see if the subtitles are burnt into the video.
> The resulting video does not contain subtitles.

It should be working. I suggest three steps to understand how it fails:

First, use -loglevel debug and look at the "palette:" lines: maybe the
subtitles are completely transparent.

Second, add a showinfo filter after the subtitles input, something like
that:

  [0:s]ashowinfo[s];[0:v][s]overlay

That way, you can see if subtitles packets arrive.

Third, extract the subtitles track with mkvextract, and look at the index,
especially the size, the palette, etc.

Please ignore Paul's comment, he is mistaken.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George