[FFmpeg-user] Need help to find "proper" way to get deinterlaced 1080p30 from lossless and 1080p60 sources.

Timur Zaripov zaript at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 11:52:51 CET 2013

Hello everyone!

I spent quite a bit of time trying to wrap my head around
interlacing/deinterlacing, but can't seem to get any clarity on an issue.

Practical problems I am trying to solve are:
- encoding lossless lagarith 1080p30 source to x264 1080p30 which
guaranteed to have progressed frames (as youtube requires);
- re-encoding 1080p60 x264 encoded Nvidia Shadowplay source in the same way.

Main issue I have is that I can't tell if original sources are interlaced
or not and if they are not, than may be I am just wasting time and
resources using -deinterlace option?

Command line I am using to encode looks like this:
ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -map 0:0 -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -preset slow -pix_fmt
yuv420p -deinterlace -r 30 -map 0:1 -c:a copy %targetVid%

Any help will be appreciated.

WBR,
    Timur Zaripov