[FFmpeg-user] Need help to find "proper" way to get deinterlaced 1080p30 from lossless and 1080p60 sources.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Dec 7 11:43:33 CET 2013

Timur Zaripov <zaript <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Main issue I have is that I can't tell if original sources
> are interlaced or not

The idet filter can tell you but be careful it is not made
for telecined input.

> and if they are not, than may be I am just wasting time and
> resources using -deinterlace option?

The performance hit is one issue, the fact that deinterlacing
damages your input is second problem.

> Command line I am using to encode looks like this:
> ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -map 0:0 -c:v libx264 -crf 18
> -preset slow -pix_fmt yuv420p -deinterlace -r 30
> -map 0:1 -c:a copy %targetVid%

Try to avoid "-deinterlace", use "-vf yadif" instead.
(I find the -r 30 suspicious in your command, but
maybe you know what you are doing.)

Carl Eugen