[FFmpeg-user] interactive arrow keys

Fusl ffmpeg at lists.dedilink.eu
Wed Dec 11 03:29:05 CET 2013

On 12/11/2013 02:44 AM, Everett Carmody wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,
> I'm sorry if this is a newbie question but I couldn't find an answer
> through several differently-worded searches.  I use Linux (Arch) and run
> ffmpeg from the command line.  Sometimes I will accidently press the back
> or left arrow key and the output of ffmpeg changes to what I guess is
> extra-verbosity-mode or something, in which multi-colored details print in
> the terminal as it encodes.  I would like to know how to get out of that
> mode, back to normal ffmpeg, non-verbose output.  I was thinking that in
> the long run it might make encoding a little slower since it is using some
> processing to print output.  I've also noticed that pressing the forward,
> right arrow key puts it in some kind of command entry mode.
There is something like an inline help. Just press ? and ffmpeg will
print it out..

Example for version N-58852-g4dfc8f6 built on Dec  7 2013 13:24:02:
key    function
?      show this help
+      increase verbosity
-      decrease verbosity
c      Send command to first matching filter supporting it
C      Send/Que command to all matching filters
D      cycle through available debug modes
h      dump packets/hex press to cycle through the 3 states
q      quit
s      Show QP histogram

With left arrow key, you are actually writing the escape sequence ^[[D
to ffmpeg and ffmpeg ignores all keys until it matches something usable
(in this case D).
So...
Up:    ^[[A
Down:  ^[[B
Right: ^[[C (Matches Send/Que command to all matching filters)
Left:  ^[[D (Matches cycle through available debug modes)

> I guess the processing loss is probably negligible but I would still like
> to be able to go back to standard output.  I like to be able to quickly
> check the progress and the screen changes too fast with this verbose
> stuff.  Also, I'm a little curious what commands I could enter with the
> right arrow key thing.
Send/Que command to all matching filters

> Thanks for any help,
Hope this will help you (at least a little bit) :)