[FFmpeg-user] Queries regarding MPEGTS/MPEG/MPG

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Dec 26 16:13:33 CET 2013

hello... <myroughwork <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Where can I get the specification document for MPEGTS.

Google for "H.222.0" but please understand that this is not an
easy-to-read document. (I am nearly certain it will not help
you at all if look at it.)

> (I've browsed the official site of MPEG
> (*mpeg*.chiariglione.org/)

Maybe I misunderstand you but this is certainly not the
"official site of MPEG".

>  2. I used ffprobe to find the stream info of a ts file.
> But, can I use FFmpeg to get the header details of a
> MPEGTS file?

MPEG-TS files do not have a header but ffmpeg -i yourfile
should tell you about the audio and video in your stream.

> 3. Finally, I see there are MPEG and MPG formats. Are
> these both same?

Sorry, I don't understand this question. Consider reading
the wikipedia article about the MPEG-2 collection of
specifications, maybe that explains some of your questions.

Carl Eugen