[FFmpeg-user] Transcoding with different codec (libfdk_aac) alters duration, how to fix?

Soeren Balko soeren at zfaas.com
Sun Dec 29 13:19:02 CET 2013

I figured that FFmpeg prefixes and suffixes transcoded audio streams with
"mute" intervals for other codecs too. In the same audio, I found that the
prefix/suffix lengths are libfdk_aac: 0.01024/0.01179 sec; libfaac:
0.0/0.01182 sec; mp2: 0.0044/0.00148 sec; ac3: 0.00257/0.00414 sec.

Even though the mute prefixes/suffixes are very different, this seems to be
a generic behavior, which obviously causes problems when concatenating
multiple transcoded audio streams. I wonder if there is a way to stop the
encoders from introducing these mute intervals? Will at the least look into
the libfdk_aac source.