[FFmpeg-user] need help encoding for HTML5 video and iphone

Antony Peiris acct_reg at fireslug.com
Tue Feb 5 16:50:55 CET 2013

Hello everyone,

My client has raw uncompressed files that are about 1 GB per minute.
Since these files are too big to upload to our server, I want him to
create reasonably high quality versions that I can use as the master
source file for creating ogv, webm and mp4 files for the web. What
command should I recommend when asking him to do this? I want the video
file he sends me to be of relatively high quality so that I can play
around with it and get the best outcome for web delivery. For example, I
am aiming for about 1 GB per 30 minutes. Also, what is the best format
that he should give this to me in?

Once I get the source file, I am thinking of running something like this
to get an iphone compatible mp4:

ffmpeg -y -i in.ext -filter:v scale=640:360 \
        -c:v libx264 -preset:v slow -profile:v baseline \
        -x264opts level=3.0:vbv-maxrate=750:vbv-bufsize=3750:ref=1 \
        -b:v 500k -r:v 25/1 -force_fps -movflags faststart \
        -c:a libfaac -b:a 80k -pass x out.mp4

The above is meant for ideal iOS (ipad, iphone, etc..) output. What are
some good settings that I could use for ogv, webm and also perhaps
another version of mp4 for web browsers.

Your suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Antony