[FFmpeg-user] Can I speed up transcoding?

Dan M dan at streemit.net
Tue Jan 8 18:17:21 CET 2013

On 01/08/2013 11:00 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 08.01.2013 17:57, schrieb Leo Papadopoulos:
>> Reindl:
>>
>> A bit more info from Adobe's manuals:
>> To note, at this
>> time Flash Player cannot encode audio to the AAC or MP3 standards, which
>> are required if you want to stream audio to iOS devices using HTTP Live
>> Streaming (HLS).
> what the hell - why should flash ENCODE the files?
> or in other words: if you use ffmpeg to ENCODE why the hell
> have your application to encode it a second time?

If I'm reading the chain of message correctly, he is using Flash Player
to encode his video. Flash Player can encode streams using H.264 (AVC1)
for video, but doesn't have any iOS compatible audio encoding codecs.
Therefore he is encoding using Flash Player, then wants to run his
stream through ffmpeg to re-encode the audio using AAC.

Adobe's failure to include an MP3 or AAC audio encoder in Flash Player
has had serious negative effects on a lot of developers, including me.