[FFmpeg-user] --enable-libfdk-aac - not recognized

Joel B onephatcat at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 12 20:41:39 CET 2013

On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:17 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> JoelB <onephatcat <at> earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> -disable-mmx is what the "how to build on OS X site
>> i was reading suggested
>
> --disable-mmx is a very bad idea, if you have problems
> without it, please report them!
>
> [...]
>
>> I wanted to essentially recreate that build with the
>> additional ability to real time transcode to high quality AAC
>
> Please understand that it is not legal (copyright-wise)
> to distribute a FFmpeg binary that is compiled against
> x264 and libfaac or libfdk at the same time.
> (x264 is GPL and you cannot fulfill the rules of the
> GPL for faac and libfdk because they are not free
> software.)
>
> For mono and stereo the native aac encoder should at
> least produce acceptable quality.
>
> Carl Eugen

I tried

changing -acodec libmp3lame

to -acodec aac

but I can't get any playback from any client, for example (using the ffmpeg build that installs with Subsonic.org server):

/Library/Application Support/Subsonic/transcode/ffmpeg -ss 4930 -t 7 -i /Users/admin2/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/aMOVIES/When Worlds Collide/WWCOLLIDE.m4v -async 1 -b 800k -s 478x360 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -v 0 -f mpegts -vcodec libx264 -acodec aac -preset superfast -threads 0 -

seems to give no playable output to Quicktime or Roku player.

removing -acodec aac altogether (since some of my video library already has aac audio) produces intermittent audio in quicktime (a few seconds here, silence, a few more seconds of audio, silence for a few seconds). On Roku I get no audio at all.

I would love to solve that immediate problem - if I can get ffmpeg to use it's internal aac encoder and produce even marginal output it would be great, perhaps the syntax i'm using is wrong.

For the ffmpeg build problem (still want to be able to figure out how to do this properly myself, thanks for the heads up on legality of distribution) Here's where I'm at now after following the advice to use git instead of svn:

./configure --prefix=/Volumes/Ramdisk/sw --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads --enable-version3 --enable-libspeex --enable-libvpx --disable-decoder=libvpx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-avfilter --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-filters --arch=x86_64 --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-shared --enable-nonfree
ERROR: libopencore_amrnb not found

 - Joel