[FFmpeg-user] formula for transcoding to ogv, shrinking an mkv

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Tue Jan 22 00:54:33 CET 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:54:03 -0600 (CST)
James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Lou wrote:
>
> > Where did you get 191k from? Is it arbitrary? You can roughly predict
> > the output size as shown in the x264 guide but I'll repeat it here:
> <snip>
>
> In any case, the output winds up being of acceptable quality for my purposes:
> does that number seem to you too low?

It is impossible for me to say. Quality is subjective, and now you
should already know what bitrates to use to achieve a desired output
file size.

I usually don't care about a specific output file size, so instead of
-b:v I usually just use -crf with libx264 or -q:v with other encoders
that support that because it is easier for me to get a certain quality
level.