[FFmpeg-user] split video

johnd john at jjdev.com
Tue Jan 22 23:33:39 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:08:21PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> One possibility to find out the actual output file
> length is to run the following command:
> $ ffmpeg -i 0.ts -f null -
> (The last line of the output contains the complete time.)

ok, that explains that, thanks

Maybe you can clarify something for me.  I did a lot of testing using
ts as an intermidiate container as I chopped things then concated back
all the ts files to a .mp4.

I was having trouble, then I switched to chopping things up into
.mp4, and concating all the mp4 into a new mp4

things work better, this makes me think I don't understand the diff
containers...  if I want to chop up input videos should I just chop
to mp4 then concat all pieces into mp4 or is there a better intermediate
container type to use?