[FFmpeg-user] Unknown encoder 'libfaac'

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Jan 23 03:58:18 CET 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:40:03 +0800
Avelyne Goh <avelyne_goh at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have downloaded the following FFMPEG version (built on Apr 16 2011 19:18:29 with gcc 4.5.2):
> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-git-1aeb88b-win32-static.7z
> I am currently trying to get the following command to work:
> C:\FFmpeg\bin\ffmpeg -i mp4_374.mp4 -r 20 -vcodec mpeg4 -b 150k -s qcif -aspect 16:9 -acodec libfaac -ab 48k -ar 22050 -ac 2 mp4_374_conv.3g2
> Result obtained: Unknown encoder 'libfaac'
> As an attempt to fix the error returned, I downloaded libfaac.dll (http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/misc/libfaac-1.28.7z) and stored it in the same directory as ffmpeg.exe.However, that did not fix the issue and I am still getting the same error.Please advice on this matter. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
> Best regards,Avelyne

FAAC is not under a GPL-compatible license. ffmpeg build with faac
support requires --enable-nonfree which renders ffmpeg as
non-distributable. That is why Zeranoe ffmpeg can not support this
encoder. Zeranoe provides the native FFmpeg AAC encoder "aac" and
VisualOn AAC "libvo_aacenc" which probably provides similar or slightly
worse quality. The native encoder isn't terrible at higher bitrates, so
stay on the higher end if in doubt.

If you must use FAAC you can compile ffmpeg to your liking. Or find
standalone faac command line utility (or any other external encoder),
encode with it, and then mux the video and audio with ffmpeg.