[FFmpeg-user] split video

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jan 23 09:32:48 CET 2013

johnd <john <at> jjdev.com> writes:

> Maybe you can clarify something for me.  I did a lot of testing using
> ts as an intermidiate container as I chopped things then concated back
> all the ts files to a .mp4.

Why?
There are a concat demuxer and a concat filter, both
should work fine with mp4.

> I was having trouble, then I switched to chopping things up into
> .mp4, and concating all the mp4 into a new mp4
>
> things work better, this makes me think I don't understand the diff
> containers...  if I want to chop up input videos should I just chop
> to mp4 then concat all pieces into mp4 or is there a better intermediate
> container type to use?

I honestly cannot answer the question.

If something works fine for you, I can hardly "fix" it.
If you have problems with a procedure, please provide
your failing command line together with complete,
uncut console output, I will try to understand and
answer.

Carl Eugen