[FFmpeg-user] cannot convert to side-by-side video, unrecognized option

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Thu Jan 24 21:04:00 CET 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:29:28 -0500
"D at rk" <roberto.francescangeli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m trying to convert a 2D video in 3D by using the instructions found here:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_3d_movie_with_ffmpeg
>
> but every time I try I get back the error:
> ffmpeg: unrecognized option '-vf'
>
> Then on this other website it seems that when I have quotes I need to use the –filter_complex flag (multiple input overlay grid example):
> http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/FilteringGuide
>
> but then I get back the error:
> ffmpeg: unrecognized option '-filter_complex'
>
> I’m under Ubuntu Linux 10.04 32bits and the complete command line string is:
> ffmpeg -i DVD_VR-14.avi -filter_complex "movie=DVD_VR-14.avi [in1]; [in]pad=iw*2:ih:iw:0[in0]; [in0][in1] overlay=0:0 [out]" sidebyside.avi
>
> Thanks for any advice!
>
> Roberto

ffmpeg in 10.04 is old and does not have any filtering capabilities.
You have several options: compile ffmpeg, use a PPA, or use a static
build.

How to Compile FFmpeg on Ubuntu
https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide

Jon Severinsson's FFmpeg PPA
https://launchpad.net/~jon-severinsson/+archive/ffmpeg

FFmpeg Static Builds by Burek
http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/

FFmpeg Static Builds by relaxed
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24633983/ffmpeg/index.html

Then you should adapt the grid example in FilteringGuide.