[FFmpeg-user] Problems with '-frames' option

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 15:10:12 CET 2013

On 25/01/13 20:24, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Tim Nicholson <nichot20 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I find that after around 2000 frames have been coded,
>> the output file ceases to grow, and instead ffmpeg's
>> memory usage grows at around 10M/s until the computer
>> runs out of memory.
>
> Afaict, -frames is completely broken.
> Instead of defaulting to vframes, it defaults to
> vframes AND aframes (I am not sure I understand
> the usefulness of aframes at all).
>
> As a work-around, use -vframes instead of -frames.

The documentation suggests that unless "-shortest" is used
using -vframes will stop video coding at the specified frame count but
the audio coding will run continue until it runs out of frames to code.

In practice I have seen that the duration of the audio streams can be
several frames shorter than the video stream which stops at the
specified frame count.

I am therefore wondering how to ensure all streams stop at the same
point and have the same duration.

> Thank you for the report!
>
> Carl Eugen
[..[