[FFmpeg-user] RTMP streaming dropped frames stuttering audio

Joe de Max joe at livetechkeynotes.com
Sun Jul 7 04:55:57 CEST 2013

Hey all,

I'm using FFmpeg on my Mac to stream the output of my TriCaster 8000 (essentially transcoding the 100Mb/s network output the TriCaster can provide and transcoding it to x264 for RTMP streaming). I am doing 2 outputs using the syntax below. All seems to work well until I do something like pan a camera or use a transition on the TriCaster (Alien Hand!) at which point the stream will pause, drop a bunch of frames and eventually pick back up  and play the past few seconds really quickly. I have tested outputting to 2 FLV files instead of the 2 RTMP streams and those files end up fine with no stuttering or dropped frames so it is not the TriCaster that is dropping frames or the speed of the network between the TriCaster and the Mac. I have 12 megabits up and I am only attempting to use about 2.5Mbps between the 2 streams so I'm really not sure where the problem lies...

Thanks!

Joe

ffmpeg -i http://192.168.1.112:49480/NewTekNetworkSend.mpg -s 1280x720 -r 50 -c:v libx264 -preset veryfast -profile:v high  -b:v 700k -strict -2 -c:a aac -b:a 192k -f flv - |
ffmpeg -f flv -i - -c copy -f flv rtmp://server1  -c copy -f flv rtmp://server2