[FFmpeg-user] Convert PAL to NTSC

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 13 15:32:40 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

Thanks for the clarification and sorry if I referenced to your statement wrongly.

So I may try to sum up:

To convert Pal, e.g. 25fps, progressive source material to ntsc film, the initial post suggested this way:

ffmpeg -r 24000/1001 -i PAL.input.video -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 14 -acodec libmp3lame -ab 224k -filter:a atempo=0.959040959040959 -r 24000/1001 NTSC.output.video

The suggested documented alternative would be to use the setpts filter instead of the initial r-option:

ffmpeg -i PAL.input.video -filter:v setpts=25025/24000*PTS -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 14 -acodec libmp3lame -ab 224k -filter:a atempo=0.959040959040959 -f matroska -r 24000/1001 NTSC.output.video

Of course, codec options and input and output file names are only meant to be examples.

With two of my test files the first proposal works on one of them. The use of setpts in combination with atempo looks and sounds promising on both files.

So please don't get me wrong even if I may not find a proper way to express myself correctly here. What I was referring to in addition was the problem of TV-Sat recordings which, for reasons which seems to be still mysterious, turn out to be faulty input for ffmpeg from time to time. With files like this, I still ran into sync problems.

> *Please* report such issues (sample + command line +
> complete, uncut console output)!

Promised, I will try - as I tried already:
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2013-February/013219.html

But this may be an example too of how difficult it is to narrow down TV-recordings of GB-size to a small sample of a few MB which gets to a point.