[FFmpeg-user] ntsc-dvd doesn't default to interlaced.

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 23:09:33 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-27 4:50 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> See http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#tinterlace
> I suspect that you still have to specify the
> encoding flags, this could indeed be seen as a bug
> but it is not what you reported originally.

I'm going to need help with this. I tried adding:
-vf tinterlace=interleave_bottom
-flags ildct+ilme
and it's doing something, but it's not right.

The way I'm analysing my output, is that I view it in VLC. What should happen is
that I see the 'comb' effect on any moving edges, but if I choose to turn
de-interlacing on, that comb effect disappears.

With the addition of those two options, what I get is that the two fields are
'fuzzed together' (like a 'blend' deinterlace had been used).

I also use the analysis tool "gspot" to tell me if the video is labelled as
interlaced. It seems that where those flags are set, it is.

There's something specific that I don't understand. When I specify "format
ntsc-DVD" that must set up a filter chain of some kind. But when I add the
'tinterlace' filter, that's probably going to be added in the wrong place in the
chain, isn't it?

Is there any way that I can find out exactly what "format ntsc-DVD" does, and
specify it all manually, inserting the "tinterlace" filter in exactly the right
point in the chain?

(I know I haven't posted any "uncut console output"; since I've tried so many
experiments, I'm not sure which ones would be relevant. If someone suggests a
command line for me, I'll be only to happy to cut and paste the "uncut console
output" that I get.)

--
Andy