[FFmpeg-user] Playing Inverse Telecined 24 fps video on a 1080p 60 Hz Computer Monitor

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 18:31:06 CEST 2013

James Board wrote:

> I'm wondering if someone dealt with this issue before.
> You need to inverse telecine to get rid of the combing
> effects, but when you do that, your video is now at 24
> fps, not 30 fps.  This makes motion un-smooth since most
> displays are a multiple of 30 Hz.

Yes that has always been the case with film on ntsc.

Don't think of 30fps though, it's 60, by which I mean 3/2 pull down
historically worked on interlaced displays so 60 (/1.001) fields/sec.

When you convert to 24 and display on a progressive 60Hz screen you end
up with exactly the same - not better, not worse, than it has always
been for viewing film in an ntsc country.

> Do some displays allow you to set 24 Hz or a multiple
> of 24 Hz?

Yes some modern TVs do 24.